Unsolved Mysteries of the 1970s That Will Give You Chills

By Sarah Norman | August 30, 2023

The Stonehenge incident brought UFOs to New Jersey

The 1970s were full of glorious parties at Studio 54 and post Vietnam celebrations, but it was also a decade full of chilling crimes that remain unsolved to this day. From gruesome murders to raucous heists and supernatural sightings, the mysteries chronicled here will leave you scratching your head and wondering exactly what happened in each of these stories.

Many of these stories are too upsetting for younger readers, so keep younger eyes shielded from the gruesome stuff. Keep in mind that many of these unsolved mysteries are cases that remain open, if you or someone you know can shine a light on these eerie crimes from the '70s don't be afraid to reach out... you could change everything.

test article image

As much as the actual Stonehenge monument is an alleged hotspot of UFO activity, this unsolved case involves the Stonehenge is a residential apartment building in North Bergen, New Jersey. So less druids and more people working on their Sunday sauce. On January 12, 1975, George O'Barski was driving home that night when he heard static on his radio before a disc shaped "spacecraft" zipped by and hovered over the ground. O'Barski claims that he saw ten hooded creatures get out of the craft, collect some soil in a bag before returning to the UFO and take off. He says that when he returned to the site the following day he found the holes dug by the humanoids. A doorman for Stonehenge claims that he also witnessed the craft, but no one has ever been able to nail down exactly what happened that night.

The 1978 Holiday Inn Fire That Claimed The Lives of 10 people

test article image

On November 26, 1978, 10 guests at the Holiday Inn in Greece, New York, were killed in a fire that whipped through the building. Initially, the Greece Police Department believed that the fire was accidental, but there were a few fishy facts about this fire. It's not clear if the fire alarms in the hotel went off during the blaze. First responders claim that they couldn't hear the bells when they arrived, although the hotel manager states that the alarms were ringing loud and clear.

Aside from the disagreement over the alarm, there were no smoke detectors or sprinklers in parts of the building, and the fire alarm system was not connected to the fire department. When John Stickevers, a New York City fire investigator was brought onto the case look into the blaze he found traces of a rare, very flammable liquid accelerant inside a storage cupboard beneath the first floor stairwell. No suspects were ever named in this truly chilling arson, and it wasn't until 2014 that the police identified two suspects.