Unsolved Mysteries of the 1970s That Will Give You Chills

By Sarah Norman | August 9, 2023

Ronny DeFeo murdered his entire family, but we still don't know how he did it

The 1970s were full of glorious parties at Studio 54 and post Vietnam celebrations, but it was also a decade full of chilling crimes that remain unsolved to this day. From gruesome murders to raucous heists and supernatural sightings, the mysteries chronicled here will leave you scratching your head and wondering exactly what happened in each of these stories.

Many of these stories are too upsetting for younger readers, so keep younger eyes shielded from the gruesome stuff. Keep in mind that many of these unsolved mysteries are cases that remain open, if you or someone you know can shine a light on these eerie crimes from the '70s don't be afraid to reach out... you could change everything.

test article image

The DeFeo murders that occurred on November 13, 1974, are some of the strangest crimes of the era. While Ronald DeFeo Jr. was technically found guilty of shooting and killing six members of his family at 112 Ocean Avenue, the details surrounding these murders are truly mind boggling.

That night, six members of the DeFeo family were all shot in their beds without a struggle. It's unclear how Ronald was able to accomplish this with no one hearing a gunshot that night, but during his lifetime he claimed the murders were the outcome of everything from demonic possession to a mob hit. During his trial in 1975, DeFeo claimed insanity and stated that he heard voices telling him to kill his family, but he was found guilty of second-degree murder and received six terms of 25 years to life in prison. He passed away in custody in March 2021 without ever saying what really happened in the house on 112 Ocean Avenue.

The South County car bomber struck without warning

test article image

South St. Louis County, Missouri was rocked with a series of deadly car bombings in 1977, with the lives of Shirley Marie Flynn and Robert Curtis Jackson being claimed on October 18, 1977 and November 3, 1977, respectively. Another attack occurred on October 7, 1977, but the, victim Ronald Sterghos, survived. Authorities searched high and low for the perpetrator but they were never able to solve the seemingly random crimes that they believe were accomplished by a truly unhinged individual.