Bill Coors, American Brewing Icon Lived to 102 – CHEERS!...and Thanks for Everything!
MAR 12 1976 - William K. Coors - Coors Industries, Credit: Denver Post (Denver Post via Getty Images)
If you have been paying attention lately, you may have noticed that the craft of brewing has really caught on these days. Beer has typically been known as something as common as apple pie to many Americans. Not surprisingly, the brewing craft has been honed over the years and the Coors family is included among some of the most iconic pioneer brewers.
Bill Coors was a very notable American beer brewer who recently passed away at the ripe old age of 102.
Golden, Colorado Coors brewing factory.
Bill Coors was largely responsible for the epic success of the Coors brand, which is one of the world’s largest and most successful beer manufacturers and distributors. With his passion for brewing, Bill Coors was an intricate part of the family business his grandfather, Adolph Coors, founded in 1873. He was with the company for over 65 years. He served in many capacities over the years and was very influential.
The Coors Brewing Company was revolutionized into a worldwide operation by Bill Coors.
Following his recent death, the following statement was released by the family, “Today our father, grandfather and uncle passed away. Bill was a consistent and steady mentor and leader of our family both professionally and personally. He shared with us his passion for brewing, his dedication to wellness and his commitment to sharing our family legacy with upcoming generations. He was dedicated to our family, our family’s businesses and having a positive impact on our community. We will miss Bill’s leadership, his stories and his smile.”
Below you will find a bit of trivia to give a little insight into Bill Coors, not just as a brewer but as a man.
- Bill Coors was an undisputed businessman with a keen business sense. He was passionate, innovative and highly motivated when it came to the business of brewing. He was involved in everything from the day to day operations of the business to management and invention. Because of his involvement, much was expected of him and he always delivered.
- Bill Coors was not just known for being an intelligent businessman. He was also a down to earth and genuine person. He had a genuine personality and spirit about him.
- He was said to have always maintained a positive outlook on life and strived to live right, stay fit and enjoy life.
- Initially, the Coors brand was only available in a few states. Bill Coors was largely responsible for transforming the Coors brand from regional distribution, only, to worldwide distribution.
- In 1959 Bill Coors, being the revolutionary businessman that he was, introduced the world to putting beer into aluminum beer cans that were able to be recycled.
- Bill Coors was a hard worker but ultimately retired at the age of 87. After his retirement, he continued with the company as a valuable adviser.
- Coors also stayed on with the company as a “taster” for the brand until the age of 100. According to the company spokesperson, “he was so good at his job he could tell where the beer had been brewed!” I wonder if all that tasting had anything to do with his impressive longevity.
- Bill Coors was brilliant and very civic minded. Over the years, he has been awarded with many industry awards as well as public recognition.
- Among his peers, Bill Coors earned the respect of most everyone who knew him. A company spokesperson has been quoted as saying, “His dedication, hard work and ingenuity helped shape not only our company but the entire beer industry.”
Bill Coors grew up in the brewing industry and was said to have made the brewing factory his playground as a child. He spent many days at the family factory playing, which ultimately led to his love of the family brand. He was Princeton educated and was a natural leader. He was passionate about his craft and passionate about life. Well done, Bill Coors! Cheers!
Like it? Share with your friends!