August 5, 1962: The Tragic Overdose And Death Of Marilyn Monroe
By | August 4, 2021
At 3 a.m., on August 5, 1962, Eunice Murray noticed that the light was still on in Marilyn Monroe’s bedroom. Murray, the housekeeper, called Monroe’s psychiatrist and personal physician after discovering that Monroe’s door was locked. After they arrived at Monroe’s house, Greenson, her psychiatrist, broke down the door to find her naked on her bed, clutching the telephone. Her physician pronounced her dead and contacted her publicist and one of her lawyers. The autopsy revealed that her blood contained high levels of chloral hydrate, likely from sleeping pills and the barbiturate Nembutal and that the extremely high levels seemed to indicate she had ingested the sleeping pills very quickly. Because of this, the coroner called her death a likely suicide. However, the police report indicated that her death may have been accidental.